Colonel David N. (Neal) Unruh is the Commander of the 142nd
Wing, Portland Air National Guard Base, Portland, Oregon. He
leads over 1,400 personnel with the execution, support, and
maintenance of the F-15C Eagle Air Superiority Mission, Special
Tactics Operations, Aerospace Control, and Expeditionary
Weather for worldwide deployments in support of national
objectives and domestic operations activities as directed by the
Governor. Colonel Unruh maintains currency as an F-15C
Instructor Pilot and Flight Evaluator.
Colonel Unruh spent 11 years in the Regular Air Force, 7 years in
the Oregon Air National Guard, and 5 years in the Statutory Tour
Program before joining the 142nd Fighter Wing. His other
assignments include Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama, Vance Air
Force Base, Oklahoma, Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska, Tyndall
Air Force Base, Florida, Kingsley Field, Oregon, and Langley Air
Force Base, Virginia. He has been deployed in support of
contingency operations throughout the world including, most
recently, in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. He
graduated from Baylor University, Waco, Texas in 1995.
3. October 1997 - October 1998, student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Oklahoma.
4. November 1998 - February 1999, student, T-38 Pilot Instructor Training, Randolph AFB, Texas.
5. April 1999 – April 2002, T-38 Instructor Pilot, Vance AFB, Okla.
6. May 2002 – July 2002, student, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Sheppard AFB, Texas.
7. August 2002 – February 2003, student, F-15C Formal Training Unit, Tyndall AFB, Florida.
8. March 2003 -- June 2006, F-15C Flight Commander, 12th Fighter Squadron, 3rd Fighter Wing, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska.
9. July 2006 – May 2008, F-15C Instructor Pilot, 2nd Fighter Squadron, 325th Fighter Wing, Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla.
10. June 2008 – January 2011, F-15C Instructor Pilot, 114th Fighter Squadron, Kingsley Field Air National Guard Base, Klamath
11. February 2011 – October 2013, Chief of Training, 173rd Operations Support Flight, Kingsley Field Air National Guard Base,
12. November 2013 – November 2014, Chief of Advanced Programs, 17r3d Fighter Wing, Kingsley Field Air National Guard
Base, Klamath Falls, Ore.
13. November 2014 – July 2016, Chief, Air National Guard Fifth Gen Fighter Branch – F-35 Systems Management Office (F-35
SMO), ACC/A5F, Langley Air Force Base, Hampton, Va.
14. August 2016 – March 2017, Air National Guard Advisor to the Director of Air and Space Operations, ACC/A3G, Langley Air
Force Base, Hampton, Va.
15. October 2017 – March 2018, Chief, ANG Special Access Programs Management Office (SAPMO), Langley Air Force Base,
16. April 2017 – July 2019, Director of Air National Guard Forces, Headquarters Air Combat Command, ACC/CG, Langley Air
Force Base, Hampton, Va.
17. August 2019 -- Present, Commander, 142nd Operations Group, Portland Air National Guard Base, Portland, Ore.
Rating: Command Pilot Flight
hours: 3400 hours
Aircraft Flown: F-15 A/B/C/D, T-38
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal (1 device)
AF Outstanding Unit Award (7 devices)
Combat Readiness Medal
Air Force Recognition Ribbon
National Defense Service Medal
Global War On Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
AF Overseas Ribbon Long
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border AF Longevity Service (3 devices)
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with 1 'M' Device Small Arms Expert
Marksmanship Ribbon (1 device) AF Training Ribbon
Oregon National Guard Superior Unit Citation
Oregon Faithful Service Medal with 'M' Device
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant September 30, 1997
First Lieutenant September 30, 1999
Captain September 30, 2001
Major June 01, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel December 05, 2011
Colonel September 15, 2016
(Current as of June 2020)