Colonel William A. Kopp is the Vice Commander of the 142d Wing, Portland Air National Guard Base, Portland Oregon. He is responsible for over 1400 personnel tasked to provide operational combat power. The readiness of the weapons systems and personnel under his charge are used in the execution of the F-15 Eagle Aerospace Control Alert mission defending the Pacific Northwest, worldwide deployments supporting national strategic objectives, and domestic operations activities including emergency response forces as directed by the Governor. Colonel Kopp maintains his qualifications as an F-15C Instructor Pilot and Flight Evaluator.
Colonel Kopp has been a member of the Oregon Air National Guard for 24 Years, based at the 142d Wing Portland Oregon. His other assignments include McGhee Tyson Air Guard Base, Tennessee, Tyndall AFB, Florida, Moody Air Force Base, Georgia, and Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas. He has been deployed in support of contingency operations throughout the world including Guam, Singapore, The United Arab Emirates, Operation Atlantic resolve in Romania and the Netherlands. Most recently he Commanded the 466Th Air Expeditionary Group, deploying with 280 Airmen and 10 F15s in the support of Operation Noble Eagle. He received his bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering in 1992 graduating with Honors.
Prior to his selection as the 142 Wing Vice Commander, Colonel Kopp was the Commander of the 142d Maintenance Group. He has also been the Commander of the 142d Operations Support Flight, 142d Fighter Wing Inspector General, 142d Fighter Wing Chief of Safety, 142d Operation Support Flight Director of Operations, 142d Fighter Wing Alert Force Officer in Charge, 123d Fighter Squadron Assistant Director of Operations, 123d Fighter Squadron Flight Commander, 142d Fighter Wing Chief of Advanced Programs, 123d Fighter Squadron Flight Safety Officer, and 123d Fighter Squadron Aircrew Flight Equipment Officer in Charge.
1992 Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Arizona State University, Tempe, Ariz.
PROFESSIONAL MILITARY EDUCATION:
1996 Academy of Military Science, in residence
2007 Squadron Officer School, correspondence.
2012 Air Command and Staff College, Correspondence. 2015 Air War College, Correspondence.
1. December 2001 – December 2002, student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
2. January 2003 – April 2003, student, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Moody AFB, Ga.
3. April 2003 – November 2003, F-15 Initial Qualification Training, Tyndall Air Force Base, Panama City, Fla.
4. December 2003 – January 2006, Mission Pilot, 123d Fighter Squadron, Portland, Ore.
5. January 2006 – June 2007, Life Support Officer, 123d Fighter Squadron, Portland, Ore.
6. February 2006, USAF Aircrew Flight Equipment Officer Course, Brooks AFB, San Antonio, Tex.
7. June 2007 – March 2009, Flying Safety Officer, 123d Fighter Squadron, Portland, Ore.
8. November 2007, Aircraft Mishap Investigation Course, Kirtland AFB, N.M
9. March 2009 – March 2011 Chief of Advanced Programs, 142d Fighter Wing, Portland, Ore.
10. March 2011 – June 2012, Alert Force Officer in Charge, 142d Fighter Wing, Portland, Ore.
11. June 2012 – August 2013, Director of Operations, 123d Operations Support Flight, Portland, Ore.
12. August 2013 – February 2015, Chief of Safety, 142d Fighter Wing, Portland, Ore.
13. February 2015 – January 2017, Inspector General, 142d Fighter Wing, Portland, Ore.
14. January 2017 – August 2018, Commander 142d Operations Support Flight, 142d Fighter Wing, Portland, Ore.
15. August 2018 – October 2020, Commander 142d Maintenance Group, 142d Wing, Portland, Ore.
16. October 2020 – Present, Vice Commander 142d Wing, Portland, Ore.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: 2100 Hours
Aircraft flown: F-15A/B/C/D, T-38A/C, T-37A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with 6 devices
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Medal
Air Force Longevity Service with 4 devices
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with 2 devices
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon
Oregon National Guard Superior Unit Citation with 1 device
Oregon Faithful Service Ribbon with 2 devices
142 FW Operations Group Officer of the Year
142 FW Alert Force Pilot of the Year
Outstanding Officer Award – Undergraduate Pilot Training
T-38 Top Stick Award – Undergraduate Pilot Training
T-37 Top Stick Award – Undergraduate Pilot Training
Citizen Soldier Award – Officer School, Academy of Military Science
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant November 21, 1996
First Lieutenant November 21, 1998
Captain October 1, 2003
Major November 13, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel January 5, 2013
Colonel September 1, 2018
(Current as of October 2020)