Colonel Todd A. Hofford assigned as the Vice Wing Commander for the 142d Fighter Wing, Oregon Air National Guard, Portland, Oregon. He is the Vice Commander of over 1,400 personnel tasked to provide operational combat power, and emergency response forces, to the United States, and the State of Oregon.
Colonel Hofford enlisted in the Air National Guard in 1993 as a Munitions Systems Specialist with the 173d Fighter Wing where he served as a Staff Sergeant. He attended Southern Oregon University as a business student graduating in 1996 with honors in two degrees to include a Bachelor of Science in Business and a Bachelor of Arts in Communication. He received his officer commission from the Academy of Military Science in 1998 earning the top Honor Graduate award. He attended Undergraduate Pilot Training in 1999 graduating #1 in the primary phase followed by Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals. In 2000, he attended the F-15C Basic Course.
He transferred to the 142d Fighter Wing where he flew as a Combat-Ready Instructor/Evaluator and Alert Pilot. While assigned to the 142d Fighter Wing, he deployed seven times and served as the Multi-Stage Improvement Program Security Manager, Chief of Scheduling, Chief of Training, Chief of Standardization & Evaluation and a Flight Commander. In addition, he served as the Aerospace Control Alert subject matter expert from 2011-12 as a qualified Fighter Officer for
AFNORTH/1st Air Force, Western Air Defense Sector, Mc Chord AFB, Tacoma, WA. As the chief evaluator of the 142d Operations Group, Col Hofford led the group through an “Outstanding” rated Standardization & Evaluation Inspection. He also led the Alert Force Evaluation mission, while inspected by the North American Aerospace Defense Command, resulting in another superb rating. He then spent two years working as the Deputy Director of Staff, Joint Force Headquarters, Oregon, where he provided leadership, guidance and administrative control on all military matters involving the operational units of the Oregon Air National Guard. Col Hofford is an active member of the Washington County community and serves as a volunteer for his local church. Prior to taking command in the 142d Maintenance Group, he spent two years as the 142d Maintenance Squadron Commander, where he deployed as an aviator/commander in support of Operation Atlantic Resolve in Eastern Europe.
1993 Basic Military Training, Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, Texas
1994 Technical School, Munitions System Specialist, Lowry AFB, Denver, Colo.
1995 Airman Leadership School distance learning program, Maxwell AFB, Montgomery, Ala.
1996 Bachelor of Science, Business-Operations Management, Southern Oregon University, Ashland
1997 Bachelor of Arts, Human Communications, Southern Oregon University, Ashland.
2005 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Master’s of Business Administration, Marylhurst University, Marylhurst, Ore.
2010 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2014 Air War College distance learning program, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2016 Reserve Component National Security Course, National Defense University, Washington DC
1. December 1998–December 1999, Undergraduate Pilot Training, 71st Flying Training Wing, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
2. January 2000–March 2000, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, 12th Flying Training Wing, Randolph AFB, Texas
3. May 2000–October 2000, F-15C Basic Course, 173d Fighter Wing, Kingsley Field Air Guard Base, Ore.
4. November 2000–September 2002, Assistant Weapons Officer, 142d Fighter Wing, Portland Air Guard Base, Ore.
5. September 2002–November 2004, Scheduler and Military Deception Officer, 142d Fighter Wing, Portland Air Guard Base, Ore.
6. November 2004–October 2006, Multi Stage Improvement Program Manager, 142d Fighter Wing, Portland Air Guard Base, Ore.
7. October 2006–October 2008, Chief of Scheduling, 142d Fighter Wing, Portland Air Guard Base, Ore.
8. October 2008–October 2010, Chief of Training and B Flight Commander, 142d Fighter Wing, Portland Air Guard Base, Ore.
9. October 2010–October 2012, Chief of Standardization and Evaluation, 142d Fighter Wing, Portland Air Guard Base, Ore.
10. November 2011–November 2012, Fighter Officer, AFNORTH/1st AF, Western Air Defense Sector, McChord AFB, Wash.
11. November 2012–November 2014, Deputy Director of Staff, Joint Force Headquarters-Air Component, Ore.
12. November 2014–July 2017, 142 Maintenance Squadron Commander, 142d Fighter Wing, Portland Air Guard Base, Ore.
13. July 2017–August 2018, 142 Maintenance Group Commander, 142d Fighter Wing, Portland Air Guard Base, Ore.
14. August 2018–Present, 142 Fighter Wing Vice Commander, 142d Fighter Wing, Portland Air Guard Base, Ore.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. November 2012 – November 2014, Deputy Director of Staff, Joint Force Headquarters, Ore., as a Lieutenant Colonel
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 2,800
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38, F-15 A/B/C/D
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
STATE AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Oregon Exceptional Service Medal
Oregon Meritorious Service Medal
Oregon National Guard Superior Unit Citation with oak leaf cluster
Oregon Faithful Service Medal with ‘M’ device
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
Air Force Association
National Guard Association of the United States
1996 Southern Oregon University Operations Management Student of the Year
1996 American Production Inventory Control Society Student Chapter President of the Year
1997 Southern Oregon University “Who’s Who in America” Award
1998 Honor Graduate, Officer School, Academy of Military Science
2000 Vance AFB Top Dawg Flying Award
2003 Top Gun 2 Ship Flight Lead
2005 Top Third Graduate and Superior Communications Award, SOS
2006 Best Practice Acknowledgment, Security Inspection from A8ZN-ACC 2008 Top Gun 4 Ship Flight Lead
2011 12th Air Force Aircrew Standardization and Evaluation Visit “Exceptionally Qualified” F-15 Check-ride
2011 1st Air Force Aircrew Standardization and Evaluation Inspection, “Superior Performer”
2012 1st Air Force Aircrew Standardization and Evaluation Visit “Exceptionally Qualified” F-15 Check-ride
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant March 12, 1998
First Lieutenant March 12, 2000
Captain March 13, 2002
Major March 16, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel December 5, 2011
Colonel September 01, 2017
(Current as of August 2018)