142nd Wing home pageNewsPhotos

Photos

80 Years of Oregon Air National Guard Veterans and Veterans Days
Officers and men of Oregon’s first military aviation unit, the 123rd Observation Squadron, gather at Portland’s first commercial airport, Swan Island Municipal Airport, for a squadron picture after the unit was activated for federal duty on 15 September 1941. At the time, the unit had but two aircraft, a Douglas O-46A observation aircraft (left) nicknamed “Old Awful” and a North American BC-1A basic combat trainer. Soon after, the men and aircraft moved to their duty station up at Gray Field, Fort Lewis, Washington State and transitioned to the North American O-47 observation aircraft which they operated into 1943. (142nd Wing History Archive)

Download Image: Full Size (0.82 MB)
Tags:
Photo by: Archive |  VIRIN: 211110-Z-F3895-0001.JPG